On Wednesday I woke up to a lovely email from Keeley and Pete (a.k.a. vibeslifeus.com) explaining that they found my blog inspiring and have consequently nominated me for the Liebster Award! I was completely over the moon. While I’m aware that I do have a following (albeit a very small one), my decision to start blogging was for my own personal development. It was primarily to practise writing on a regular basis but also to work towards being a better person, so to hear that somebody else appreciates it really made my day.
First of all, I would like to thank vibeslifeus for the nomination. A keen traveller myself, I find their blog about music, travelling and keeping your identity after becoming parents truly refreshing and look forward to hearing much more from them.
Vibeslifeus set me 10 questions to answer, so let’s get started!
Q and A
1. What is the most extreme thing you have ever done?
- I wouldn’t say I have done anything extreme… though I do have a habit of going on spontaneous trips to far off places without much prior planning… oh, and I have also run a 6km race three-legged more than once…
2. What is the best memory that you have while travelling?
- Sitting under a starry sky with absolutely no light pollution whatsoever.
3. If you could give someone £1,000,000 who would you give it to?
- Probably my brother and his new wife so they can begin married life debt free (and hopefully invite me on a few awesome holidays too!).
4. Do you think education, as it is today, does justice to life and learning?
- No, but then again, isn’t one of the joys of life finding things out for yourself?
5. When do you find time to blog?
- I don’t find time, I make time.
6. Marmite, love it or hate it?
- Hate is a strong word… but I definitely don’t love it!
7. Who are your 6 ultimate dinner party guests, and why?
- Great question. Adele for her sense of humour, Judi Dench for her class, will.i.am because I think he would make her giggle, the comedian Jon Richardson because he’s both funny and local, Professor Brian Cox for providing interesting conversation and my allusive Italian cinema lecturer Stefano because he would always start telling the most unlikely stories but never finish them. I also feel like these people would gel as a group.
8. Have you ever visited a place just because you saw it in a book/series/animation/movie? What was that place?
- I went to Savoca because it’s where part of the Godfather was filmed… but I am yet to actually watch the movie.
9. What would your superpower be?
- Apparition (see Harry Potter).
10. What is your favourite book?
- The Reader on the 6.27 by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent.
11 random facts about myself
- I used to be able to do the rubix cube. (I need to relearn the combinations).
- I almost passed out in a hot yoga class in France.
- I have never broken a bone.
- I speak Italian and French fluently and can get by in German too.
- Parsnips are one of the few foods I would rather not eat.
- I can still do a straddle L sit from my limited gymnastics days.
- I really dislike the feeling of chalk on my hands (hence the gymnastics days being limited).
- I play the piano, guitar, ukulele, clarinet and sing with varying success.
- I drink at least 5 cups of tea a day.
- I love surfing but am quite scared of the sea.
- I have two mad spaniels called Skye and Pippin.
Questions for my nominees
- Why did you start blogging?
- Tea or coffee?
- Do you have a life motto/an inspirational quote you try to live by?
- Tell me your guilty pleasure.
- What is your favourite time of year and why?
- Describe yourself in a haiku.
- What is your signature recipe and why do you like to make it?
- Tell me your favourite joke.
- What is your favourite mode of transport and why?
- Do you have a hidden talent?
- Tell me your best dinner party anecdote about yourself.
That’s it folks! Entries close on the 25th December so if you want to be considered then you should follow the rules before then.
P.S. As my act of kindness for the day, I am doing a late night taxi service for my Dad – it’s his office Christmas party tonight. Oh, how the roles have reversed!